Friday 19 February 2010

Friday 19th February 2010

Friday! Again, it should be a work day, but half term provided an opportunity for a lie in! My elder children have both had growth spurts, and were both in need of new trousers. They requested we go to the large out of town shopping centre, not because of the range of clothes shops, but because of the presence of a Krispy Kreme Donut cafe! Their idea of a perfect treat - a donut & a fizzy drink. I am quite fierce about their diet, I am bringing all my children up to be vegetarian, as I truly believe it is a healthier way of eating. We eat mainly home cooked food, from fresh ingredients, very few desserts, their sweet treats generally being yoghurt or fruit. Hence the excitement at the prospect of a donut!

As we sat in the cafe munching processed sugar laden carbohydrates, I watched the people going past, all busy with their own lives. Mums with small children looking tired and harrassed, teenage girls in groups looking moody (and underdressed for the time of year!) Dads looking reluctant as partners marched forward purposefully. It was a snapshot of life. No time to stop, no time for talking, always moving, moving on. I sometimes crave a quieter life, a life away from the hustle and bustle. I would love to live away from town, and be more self sufficient than I am now. Unlikely in the near future, but it is nice to dream.

We made our purchases of blue jeans and pink jeans, the children both excited to go in changing rooms and try on a selection, with them being allowed the final choice in what was bought. We visited WH Smiths, and I bought the lasted copies of my favourite jewellery making magazines. I am looking forward to bed time, when I will put on my iPod and lay in bed planning all the lovely things I would like to make.

I enjoyed spending time with the children today, it was nice to be able to give them my undivided attention, instead of always having one eye on the youngest (he was at nursery today) They are growing so fast. No 1 son is 10 now, and beginning to develop an interest in the way he looks and dresses, my daughter is 7 and is still madly in love with all things pink, but is also beginning to be aware of fashion and looks. It was an expensive but rewarding day!

No comments:

Post a Comment