Sunday 28 February 2010

27th - 28th February 2010

Well, another week has passed, a busy one at that. I have spent more time in schools than I have at home this week, with visits to the small folks school for displays of work, governors meetings and concerts, then to my school for work.

Someone I used to know has been diagnosed terminally ill this week. Cancer is an awful disease, it lurks around the corner, it's cruel hand reaching out randomly stealing lives. It has made me think of those I have lost, most importantly, my grandmother. She was a truly wonderful woman - a real lady, she only drank tea from a cup with a matching saucer, and was one of the loveliest people I have ever known. She grew up the daughter of shopkeeper and married her army sweetheart. She then followed him all over the world as he fought for our country, bringing up two children. She always had time for people and their problems. She listened and cared for anyone who needed her to listen. She would miss meals to feed others. The family sometimes laughed at her propensity for collecting lame ducks. The day she died, a little piece of me did too. My heart breaks that she never met my children - how she would have adored them. My little girl would have been the apple of her eye, spoilt rotten. My boys would have been able to do no wrong, they would have wrapped her round their little fingers. She adored my then boyfriend, now husband. She died 5 weeks before my wedding. She would be so proud of the business he has built and the way he is father to our children. I would give anything to pick up the phone and chat to her. To tell her my news, boring and mundane, but she would make it special and want to hear more. I really miss you nana.


No comments:

Post a Comment